Updated November 2009
There are 2 competitions running simultaneously,
the IMAGINE challenge and
the FLAGSHIP challenge.
There are monthly prizes available separately for both, and the top 2 each month will go into the pool for the Grand Prize (which will have an expanded judging panel).
You can enter as many times as you like or for any month that you choose.
For the Imagine challenge there will also be a monthly prize for best non-scripted entry
THE IMAGINE CHALLENGE
In describing virtual worlds, it is often said, 'we are truly limited by only the imagination', and and that is the theme of this art challenge. The limits are the imagination. Create something that will take our breath away. Any form, any shape, any influence, any medium. Of this world, or the next! (size 100 prim)
Prizes offered to winners & runners-up every month till the 31st of August 2010. Grand Prize to be awarded at the end. Monthly winners & runners up to be displayed in the Second Life installation of the Lawrence Wilson Art Gallery, on the grounds of the University of Western Australia (UWA - this island). All winners COULD also be part of a real life (RL) exhibition of digital interactive art at the University of Western Australia in 2010.
L$5,000 + RL Custom Tshirt (1st)
L$1,250 + RL Custom TShirt (Best non-Scripted entry) ,
* RL custom T-Shirts will be made for the winners based on their favourite texture. This will be custom made, and posted to them, wherever they are in the world! These special prizes come curtesy of Shedworx.com and www.etshirts.com
L$14,000 (Best non-Scripted entry)
THE FLAGSHIP CHALLENGE
Design the UWA Cultural Precinct Flagship Building
Design a building that captures the essence of creative engagement, which could possibly be built.
The University of Western Australia plans to build such a building in real life. It is to be called FUTURElab. FUTURElab will provide insights into the world we are shaping by putting a microscope on the research undertaken across the University. It will provide a showcase for the work of SymbioticA for the architects and designers from UWA’s Faculty of Architecture, Landscape and Visual Arts who are exploring new possibilities for themselves and their communities and for those working with new and emerging technologies to shape our future. FUTURElab will incorporate a black box performance/screening environment, a science/art gallery and teaching and presentation space for a range of activities across campus. It will also provide a hub for the Creative Industries Innovation Centre (CIIC), of which UWA is a partner.
Prizes offered to winners & runners-up every month till the 31st of August 2010. Grand Prize to be awarded at the end. The winning entry, will be given a permanent location on the grounds of the SL grounds of the University of Western Australia. The winning entry may be considered as a possible baseline design for one of the actual buildings that will be built at the RL location of the expanding Cultural Precinct of the University of Western Australia. The creator of the building will be contacted to consult on how to turn the Second Life design, into reality.
SPECIAL TRIBUTE TO ARTISTS
A special artists participation pool (donation) has been established thanks to the generosity of Sasun Steinbeck & Tranguloid Trefoil who have agreed to join JayJay Zifanwe in contributing 1000L monthly toward the pool, and Phillip Vought who has agreed to contribute for October. This will be reset at the start of every month. All artists who submit an entry and who do not receive one of the main prizes, will receive a share of what has been contributed to the donation jar for that month. Nothing is being kept for the land tier, 100% will go back to artists. Please donate here to the pool if you are able by paying the donation jar.
CONTEST ENTRY RULES
- NOTE THE PERMISSIONS ON ENTRIES ARE NOW WHATEVER THE CREATOR/DISPLAY REQUIREMENTS NEED THEM TO BE.
Any artwork/object can be submitted. They can be inanimate or have animation. They may contain scripts if you so choose.
Maximum script time of 0.5ms, and anything that runs at over 0.05ms is to have an on/off on touch with time out of 10 minutes max (if you are unsure of your piece's script load please contact one of the Challenge hosts to have it evaluated).
100 prim maximum for IMAGINE challenge.
1000 prim maximum for FLAGSHIP challenge
- Note that by submitting an entry, you are giving permission to the University of Western Australia to place the objects anywhere on UWA owned land, and to have information and images of the entries placed on UWA websites and on websites promoting the UWA sims or events held on the UWA sims.
If submitting an entry for the FLAGSHIP challenge, you are giving permission to UWA to use your design as the basis of the design for an actual building, when/if that eventuates.
- Contest starts 21st August 2009, ends 31st August 2010.
- Monthly prizes will be awarded (21st Aug 09 - 30th Sept 09 will be considered the first month. Calendar months to be adhered subsequent to this)
- A valid entry, is any object dropped onto the contest entry billboard (that fits the above criteria). Pick up item from inventory while holding down the CTRL key, and drop it onto the contest entry billboard prim (the prim should go red when your entry is in position to be dropped in)
- Alternate method of entry is to drop the object into the inventory of Jayjay Zane, who is executive officer for the 'UWA 3D ART AND DESIGN CHALLENGE’
- All entrants should join the group 'UWA 3D ART AND DESIGN CHALLENGE’
- To join, copy and paste the following into local chat, then click as appropriate to join the group: secondlife:///app/group/cad9c421-8b96-f9c1-fb40-dade48c43fe4/about
Entries each month will be on display at the 3D Art & Design Platform on UWA (SURL to Come)
- Professor Ted Snell - Director, Cultural Precinct, The University of Western Australia (RL)
- Frank Roberts - The University Architect, The University of Western Australi (RL)
- John Barret-Lennard – Curatorial Director, Lawrence Wilson Art Gallery (RL)
- Oron Catts - Director, SymbioticA, The University of Western Australia (RL)
- Jayjay Zifanwe - Owner of The University of Western Australia (SL), Creator & co-host of the UWA 3D Art & Design Challenge (SL)
- Raphaella Nightfire - CEO SW&MB Fashion Productions, CEO Evane Model Agency (SL), Snr Writer Best of SL Magazine, Owner Sanctorum Gallery (SL)
- Tranguloid Trefoil - Owner of WASP at the University of Western Australia (SL)
- Frolic Mills - BOSL & CO CEO
- Sasun Steinbeck - artist, scripter, and maintainer of the Art Galleries of SL list at http://sasun.info/ArtGalleriesofSL.aspx
- Wil Dreadlow - ICON Lifestyle Magazine CEO & Publisher
- Lowell Cremorne - Owner of The Metaverse Journal
- White Lebed - Lead of Burning Life Art Department, Curator
- M Linden - CEO, Linden Labs
- Lanai Jarrico - CEO SL Enquirer
- Pat Insoo - Publisher CEO Music Matters Magazine
- Mal Burns - Metaverse News Aggregator and Broadcaster
- Apollo Manga - examiner.com Writer & Novelist
Official Hosts for the UWA 3D Art & Design Challenge in SL are: