The Grand Finale for the
UWA 3D Art & Design Challenge
& for MachinimUWA II: Art of the Artists
will be on SUNDAY the 10th of October from 6am SLT
at the 200-seater, UWA-BOSL Grand Amphitheatre.
Close to L$500,000 will be divided among
the winners of both these challenges.
Date & Time:
6am SLT, Sunday, 10th October 2010
UWA-BOSL Grand Amphitheatre (200 Seater)
Please check on the map before TPing into any of the following LMs
(we recommend choosing the one with the fewest avatars)
University Of WA sim entrance
WASP Land sim entrance
UWA sim entrance
Guest Speaker of Honour:
Lumiere Noir (creator of the legendary Ivory Tower Library of Primitives)
UWA 3D Art & Design Challenge Finalists & Prizes
There are 31 IMAGINE finalists, 13 IMAGINE : Non-Scripted finalists and 23 FLAGSHIP finalists shortlisted from 841 entries from across the year. Additional prizes have been added, over and above what was initially indicated due to a secret benefactor, Bohemian Ghost & the Summerland SIM & the Casey Family of Western Australia.
UWA A&D Winners' Platform
The Imagine and Imagine Non-scripted grand finalists are displayed at the UWA Art & Design Winners' Platform on UWA Winthrop sim. At the landing point on Floor 1 you can pick up a HUD (scripted screen attachment) to use map TP to visit all the Flagship winners.
IMAGINE Non-Scripted Prizes:
MachinimUWA II : Art of the Artists Entries & Prizes
View all 45 entries from around the world that were received for this challenge on the blog here. This competition grew as a tribute to the artists of the UWA 3D Art & Design Challenge. Here too, additional prizes have been added, over and above what was initially indicated, due to a secret benefactor, Bohemian Ghost & the Summerland sim. & the Casey Family of Western Australia.
MachinimUWA II Prizes:
1st Prize $L70,000,
2nd Prize $L40,000,
3rd Prize $L30,000,
5 Special Awards of L$10,000 each.
AUDIENCE PARTICIPATION EVENT for MACHINIMUWA II
Deadline Midnight SLT 7th October
L$5,000 has been set aside for SL residents and viewers who take part in a special participation event. We are asking all the residents of SL to give us your top 8 machinima, in order of your preference. The 3 residents whose order comes closest to the final order decided by the judging panel will win for themselves L$2,500, L$1,500 & L$1,000 respectively. The winner will be invited to be on the panel for MachinimUWA III. Method of entry - List your top 8 in order of preference on a notecard, and send to White Lebed and/or Jayjay Zifanwe. Please title the notecard - "MachinimUWA Audience Selection (your name)"
For links to all 45 entries
UWA 3D ART & DESIGN: How the Judging was done
Each judge listed their top 10 in order for IMAGINE & FLAGSHIP & top 5 for the non-scripted. Works receiving a 1st place vote were allocated 6 points, 2nd place 5 points, 3rd 4 points, 4th 3points, 5th 2 points, and 6th - 10th place votes received 1 point each. The winners are taken as a straight aggregate compiling the individual rankings of the 23 strong judging panel (see below).
JUDGING PANEL for GRAND FINALE of the
UWA 3D ART & DESIGN CHALLENGE
1. Lumiere Noir (SL) - Creator of the Ivory Tower Library of Primitives
2. Sasun Steinbeck (SL) - Founder of the Art Galleries of SL list
3. Lowell Cremorne (SL), Owner of The Metaverse Journal
4. White Lebed (SL) - Founder of AppliedGameology.com
5. Phillip Vought(SL) - Art Philanthropist & Founding Patron of UWA-BOSL Amphitheatre
6. Lanai Jarrico (SL) - CEO SL Enquirer
7. Reslez Steeplechase (SL) - Founder First Call Musicians Co-op (FCMC), CEO Matters of Music Media Group (M3)
8. Mal Burns (SL) - Metaverse News Aggregator and Broadcaster
9. Apollo Manga (SL) - examiner.com Writer & Novelist
10. Raphaella Nightfire (SL) - Snr Writer Best of SL Magazine, Owner Sanctorum Gallery
11. Dr Gary Zabel (RL) / Georg Janick (SL) - University of Masachusetts
12. Saffia Widdershins (SL) - Owner and Editor of Prim Perfect Publications
13. Jordan Whitt (SL) - Editor in Chief, ICON Lifestyle Magazine
14. Rowan Derryth (SL) - Art & Design Historian; Writer for Prim Perfect Publications
15. Courtney Linden (SL) - Linden Lab
16. Paisley Beebe (SL) - CEO of Perfect World Productions TV
17. Bohemian Ghost (SL) - Owner of Summerland Estates
18. Jopsy Pendragon (SL) - Founder of the Particle Laboratory Learning Center
19. Professor Ted Snell (RL) - Director, Cultural Precinct, The University of Western Australia
20. Frank Roberts (RL) - The University Architect, The University of Western Australia
21. Jayjay Zifanwe (SL) - Owner of The University of Western Australia (SL), Creator & co-host of the UWA 3D Art & Design Challenge
22. Dr Chris Thorne (RL) - Co-Founder of the UWA (SL) & UWA Honourary Research Associate (RL) (judged Flagship only)
23. Frolic Mills (SL) - BOSL & CO CEO (judged the imagine sections only)
MACHINIMUWA II : ART OF THE ARTISTS - How the judging was done
Each judge listed their top 8 in prder of preference. 8 points was allocated for a 1st place vote, 7 points for a 2nd place vote, and so on, with 1 points beling allocated for an 8th place vote. The top 3 are taken as a straight aggregate compiling the individual rankings of the 14 strong judging panel (see below). 5 special awards are decided by discussion among the judges taking into consideration the overall rankings.
JUDGING PANEL MACHINIMUWA II: Art of the Artists
1. Professor Ted Snell (RL) - Director, Cultural Precinct, The University of Western Australia
2. Dr Carmen Fies (RL) - Second Life Lead: University of Texas San Antonio
3. quadrapop Lane (SL) - Curator of the UWA 3D Art & Design Challenge
4. White Lebed (SL) - the founder of AppliedGameology.com
5. Jayjay Zifanwe (SL) - Owner of The University of Western Australia (SL), Creator & co-host of the UWA 3D Art & Design Challenge
6. Iono Allen (SL) - Official Machinimatographer of the UWA 3D Art & Design Challenge
7. Cisko Vandeverre (SL) - Reigning UWA MachinimUWA Champion
8. Dr Kim Flintoff (RL) - Lecturer, Instructional Design, Centre for eLearning, Curtin University of Technology, Australia
9. LividEye Yoshikawa (SL) / John Yap (RL) - Senior Media Producer, National University of Singapore
10. Michelle Glaser (RL) - Senior Project Officer, Department of Culture and Arts, Government of Western Australia
11. Ian Booth (RL) - Chief Executive Officer, Screen West, Western Australia
12. Raphaella Nightfire (SL) - Snr Writer Best of SL Magazine, Owner Sanctorum Gallery (SL)
13. Laetitia Wilson (RL) - Assistant Professor, School of Architecture, Landscape and Visual Arts, UWA
14. Aaron Kennedy (RL) - Chairman, WAnimate, Raging Pixel Productions
With thanks to LaPiscean Liberty, Taralyn Gravois, quadrapop Lane, The Casey Family of WA and Bohemian Ghost.