And thus is launched the 4th of the UWA Grand Art Challenges with a L$600,000 prize pool. A quick summary. One artwork per artist. 150 prims max to the theme REFLECTIONS. Submit entries here at the UWA main gallery. The earlier the work is submitted, the greater the chance for the artwork to feature in one of the Machinima for MachinimUWA VI, which will launch on the 1st of March with the same theme. Entries will go on display immediately! The sooner the works are in, the longer they are on display.
This is a single round only lasting 4 months, 1st Feb 2013 - 30th May 2013. The biggest difference between this and previous major art challenges is that unlike the first 3, this one has a theme.
The theme is "REFLECTIONS"
This art challenge in OPEN TO EVERYONE. The theme is REFLECTIONS with a 150 prim limit per artwork, and limited to ONE ENTRY PER ARTIST.
WHY THE THEME REFLECTIONS?
The UWA Centenary 3D Art Challenge is run in tribute to the 2013 Centenary of the University of Western Australia, as UWA reflects on its 100 years of existence and ponders the question of what the next 100 years will bring. The 2012 Art Challenge was also run in tribute to the Centenary. 2012 is 100 years since the first staff were hired at UWA and 2013 is 100 years since the first students started studying at UWA.
In recognition of this milestone a Special Centenary Prize of L$50,000 will be awarded to the artwork that best reflects the spirit of the UWA Centenary, as determined by the UWA members of the judging panel.
This Challenge is sponsored by OPEN THIS END, with thanks to Christina García-Lasuén (RL) / Aino Baar (SL), PEACE IS A CHOICE Gallery, with thanks to TheDove Rhode, Virtlantis, with thanks to Kip Yellowjacket, Best of Second Life (BOSL) Group with thanks to Frolic Mills, Secret Rage, The Guided Tour Company, with thanks to JonyBlade Codesmith, Japanese Arts Journalist, Temi Sirbu and UWA, with special thanks to Professor Ted Snell, Director of the Cultural Precinct & Jon Stubbs, Director of Student Services.
All pieces entered across the year may be filmed for various Machinima, and are likely to be filmed as part of MachinimUWA VI (launching 1st March 2013), which will also carry a theme of REFLECTIONS
SPECIAL PARTNERSHIP WITH OPEN THIS END GROUP
There is an even stronger partnership this time with OPEN THIS END (OTE), led by Cristina García-Lasuén (RL) / Aino Baar (SL). A number of entries will be selected by a panel commissioned by OTE to be on display in a Physical (RL) Museum in Europe (more details to come later). This panel will operate independently of the main challenge panel.
* Artwork entered should be able to be interpreted by the casual viewer as being representative of the Theme. Where the link to the theme is difficult to ascertain, this should be referenced in a NC accompanying the work.
* There is a 150 prim limit. (Up to 200 land impact PE for mesh, but actual prims must remain under 150.)
* 1 entry only per artist
* DEADLINE: 30th May2013
Place the artwork in the art entry receiver at the UWA Art Challenge platform (no perms required, but copy is appreciated if possible) . If you have problems with the receiver give artwork to Jayjay Zane or Jayjay Zifanwe along with Artist NC:
Receiver is located HERE
UWA CENTENARY 3D ART CHALLENGE PRIZES (L$590,000 PRIZE POOL):
1st Prize L$100,000
2nd Prize L$75,000
3rd Prize L$55,000
4th Prize L$45,000
5th Prize L$40,000
6th - 10th Prize L$25,000
UWA Centenary Special Prize L$50,000
UWA Centenary Honourable Mention Prize L$30,000
CURATORS PRIZE L$30,000
OTHER SPECIAL AWARDS L$30,000
* All winners will also receive a guided tour system of winner's choice (priced at $L2199) by 'THE GUIDED TOUR COMPANY, led by JonyBlade Codesmith
(Awarded to viewers/ visitors whose top 10 lists most closesly aligns to the actual juried top 10)
1st Prize L$ 7,000
2nd Prize L$ 5,000
3rd Prize L$ 4,000
4th Prize L$ 2,500
5th Prize L$1,500
To submit entries for REFLECTIONS: The UWA Centenary 3D Art Challenge, visit the UWA 3D gallery platform, and drop your entry in the receiver. You do this by selecting the entry in your inventory (left mouse button) and then press CTRL + drag the entry while holding down that key to the prim of the receiver. When the cursor is over the poster (red outlines should appear around the receiver box), release your left mouse button and the item is received. Do this for BOTH your entry and your Artist Notecard.
If you have difficulties doing this, give the entry to Jayjay Zane or Jayjay Zifanwe.
Contest Entry Rules:
1) Any artwork/ object can be submitted. They can be inanimate or have animation. They may contain scripts if you so choose - maximum script time of 0.5ms, and anything that runs at over 0.05ms is to have an on/off on touch with time out of 10 minutes max (if you are unsure of your piece's script load please contact one of the Challenge hosts to have it evaluated). 150 prim maximum (or 200 land impact PE for mesh). A 1% tolerance is given to these limits
2) Note that by submitting an entry, you are giving permission to the University of Western Australia to place the objects anywhere on UWA owned land, and to have information and images of the entries placed on UWA websites and on websites promoting the UWA SIMS or events held on the UWA SIMS or to be filmed for Machinima purposes.
5) A valid entry, is any object dropped onto the contest entry receiver that fits the theme. Select your item from inventory while holding down the CTRL key, and drop it onto the contest entry billboard prim (release the left mouse button when your entry is in position to be dropped in).
6) Alternate method of entry is to drop the object into the inventory of Jayjay Zane, who is executive officer for the UWA Art Challenges, or Jayjay Zifanwe.
7) All entrants should join the group 'UWA 3D ART AND DESIGN CHALLENGE’ Group
8) To join, copy and paste the following into local chat, then click as appropriate to join the group: secondlife:///app/group/cad9c421-8b96-f9c1-fb40-dade48c43fe4/about
9) All work must be original. Renderings of works by others, in part or in whole, whether or not they are under copyright, should be acknowleded and permissions secured when appropriate.
Judging Panel for the UWA Centenary 3D Art Challenge:
Professor Ted Snell - Director, Cultural Precinct, The University of Western Australia
Dr Sally Quin - Curator, Lawrence Wilson Art Gallery, UWA Museums, UWA
Virginia Rowland - Senior Policy Officer, Centenary Planning, UWA
Lyn DiCiero - Editor, WA Artist's Chronicle
Madeleine King - Director UWA Centenary Celebrations
Merle Hearns (RL) / Briarmelle Quintessa (SL) - Senior Lecturer, Foundation Studies Department, Manukau Institute of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
FreeWee Ling - Curator, UWA 3D Open Art Challenge
Quan Lavender - Journalist & Blogger
Kip Yellowjacket - Co-Creator of VIRTLANTIS
Sasun Steinbeck - Creator of the Art Galleries of SL list
Len Zuks - Award Winning West Australian Sculpturist
Debora Kaz - Director of Kaz Filmes e Produções / Producer of I Festival Machinima Art Connections Brasil
Chestnut Rau - Journalist
Taralyn Gravois - CEO of VE Concepts
Apollo Manga - examiner.com Writer & Novelist
Frolic Mills - BOSL CEO
Dr Carmen Fies - Second Life Lead: University of Texas San Antonio
Lyn Hay (RL) / LenaLotus Latte (SL) - Lecturer, School of information Studies, Charles Sturt University, Wagga Wagga, NSW
Thinkerer Melville (SL) / Selby Evans (RL) - Blogger on Virtual Worlds
Apmel Goosson - Journalist, Blogger, Author & Publisher
Dr. Phylis Johnson - Media Professor, Southern Illinois University, Author - Machinima: Aesthetics and Practice (a.k.a, Sonicity Fitzroy, SL Virtual Journalist)
Mal Burns - Metaverse News Aggregator and Broadcaster
Dousa Dragonash - COO Metaverse Television
TheDoveRhode - Owner of PEACE IS A CHOICE GALLERY
Jay Jay Jegathesan (RL) / Jayjay Zifanwe (SL) - Manager School of Physics/ Lead of UWA Virtual Worlds
Curator for REFLECTIONS: The UWA Centenary 3D Art Challenge is FreeWee Ling
Host for REFLECTIONS: The UWA Centenary 3D Art Challenge is Jayjay Zifanwe