Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Art of Wizard Gynoid - UWA Full SIM Art Series

.

The UWA Full SIM Art series continues in May with 'The Art of Wizard Gynoid' whose mathematical wonders have now almost filled the entire sim to its limits!

Location: CLICK HERE TO TELEPORT TO 'THE ART OF WIZARD GYNOID'
Unofficial Opening: Already Open, everyone welcome
Official Opening: 12pm (NOON) SLT, Saturday 14th May

With the 7,200 prim Fractalized Tensegrity Icosahedron made up of 1,728 individual Tensegrity Icosaheda, this is a a display not to be missed!


As follows, all of this is described in the words of the Wizard herself:

My friends caIl me Wizzy. So you can call me Wizzy.

I guess it could be said that an underlying theme of my recent work has been demonstrating that the elegant beauty of complex mathematical/geometric objects can be shown to be "Art" by changing the context in which they are viewed. Fractal, Tensegrity and Hyperboloid Artworks are respresented here.

My artwork tends toward the geometrical. This is not so strange. Artists have been inspired by geometry for millennia.

Plato said, Aei ho theos geōmetrei (God always geometrizes) and the sign over the door of Plato's Academy said: Ageōmétrētos mēdeìs eisítō. Let no one who is destitute of geometry enter here.

My RL university training is in Philosophy, especially the History and Philosophy of Science. I am very interested in the Philosophy of Art and Aesthetics. The traditional separation of the domain of Art from the domain of Science and their reconciliation is of great interest to me.

You might say that I am obsessed by Sacred Geometry. I find Second Life to be the perfect place to obsess on Sacred Geometry and I have spent a lot of time building Geometrical objects by hand. My old Temple of Sacred Geometry was dedicated to these works and I find that some of my favorite artists and writers inspire me to build. Most notable of these are M.C. Escher, H.P. Lovecraft, William Gibson, Rudy Rucker, Neal Stephenson and Buckminster Fuller.

On this University of Western Australia sim we find some very significant geometric objects. To me these are among the most beautiful objects in existence, and I hope I do them justice. One of these is one rotation of the E8 Polytope (originally displayed at my Rezzable Visions show of October 2008.)

Perhaps I am best known for building this 8 Dimensional object in SL. This was a daunting and difficult task and I had the help of a theoretical physicist and a team of mathematicians and programmers. This SL object was subsequently ported out to RL and can be found there inside a laser-etched crystal cube. http://www.bathsheba.com/crystal/e8/

The E8 Polytope is the most complex and elegantly beautiful geometric object known to mathematicians. It is used in String Theory and is of heightened interest lately due to its use in several "Theories of Everything" -- the modern term for the Unified Field Theory. Inscribed within it, I have found all of the platonic solids and many other symmetrical polyhedra. I have discovered several axes of symmetry, the most significant being icosahedral symmetry, and it is therefore richly encoded with the Golden Ratio. The Hexahedral axis is also intriguing, due to the suggestion of a 3D isometric grid. The Quadrahedral symmetry axis suggests the discovery of interesting spiral fractals and symmetrical lotus flower-type patterns within the E8 Polytope.

Lately, my work has turned to tensegrity objects discovered by Buckminster Fuller. I have been playing around in SL and RL with something he called the "Vector Equilibrium." Bucky considered this object to be the most elegant in nature. This object is important because it demonstrates what I like to call the 3D Isometric Grid. It is also very closely associated with Sacred Geometry objects. The Vector Equilibrium is displayed here on UWA Virtlantis.

Fuller's "Tensegrity Icosahedron" inspired the massive centerpiece of this show. This piece appeared spontaneously for this show and has never been shown elsewhere. It is a Fractalized Tensegrity Icosahedron. The 7,200 prims are made up of 1,728 individual Tensegrity Icosaheda. My friends can testify how difficult it was to build this piece. I came near to quitting several times out of frustration.

Also to be found on the sim is something called the "Vector Matrix." This object expands on Buckminster Fuller's Vector Equilibrium, and has special spiritual significance to the philosopher Nassim Haramein. Discovering this object was important for my own Qabalistic studies and is mysteriously related to the Tree of Life.

Other new works created especially for this show use "hyperboloid objects." When set rotating they create beautiful and interesting Moire patterns.

The terrain for the UWA Virtlantis show was created specially for this show by me. The terrain texture is the Isometric Grid mentioned above. You can see a demonstration of the significance of this geometric grid by simply selecting Ctrl Shift R.

Special Thanks to Jayjay Zifanwe, Polagirus Paragorn, JJValero Writer, Desdemona Enfield, soror Nishi and Miso Susanowa.


WIZARD GYNOID

3 comments:

  1. Be sure to check out the UWA Virtlantis sim on the World Map!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing some little about Sacred geometry myself, I am awestruck by Wizzy's ability to conceptualize and construct these amazing objects. Certainly geometry is art; the art of structure.

    ReplyDelete